Friday, April 29, 2016

We Learned...We Grew...We Evolved

Was trying to get to inbox zero - a never-ending task, no less - in doing so, I stumbled across an email from my friend who always has such lovely things to say and his words always leave me feeling at ease ... I want to share with you what he shared with me, and upon asking he said I could use and disperse as needed. 

For some context - earlier we had met for a bulk blueberry exchange and a walk - a pretty standard occurrence - our talk reminded me of a quote from the book I'd been reading which I later shared with him via email once home. 




//The present suggests, but doesn't predict because we can't see all the factors in play. 
A lot can change between measurement and outcome. 
Saying you don't know doesn't deny the data, but it does allow you to release your convictions, widen your frame, see more options, head in a better direction, or slow down.
Understanding that even if my facts are correct my interpretations are not certainties liberated me to hope in a very new and invigorating way. 
I don't know how things will turn out. I don't know if what I'm doing will make much of a difference.
But I know that life hopes, and if I chose to hope, to stand in hope, to BE hope, then I am headed where life naturally wants to go.// 

And here was his response, among our other musings via email, and it makes me smile inside, so I wanted to share it with you :)

I was thinking about this on my walk this morning.

12 hours ago, it was dark and 15'C.
Now, it's sunny and 25'C.
At this rate, in 10 days, it will will so bright and hot,
it will cook everything and everyone.
But alas, nature adjusts and changes,
and night falls again.

The day after the Hiroshima bomb, one could have said:
"At the current rate, we will eliminate the entire world
population in 50 years."

But we learned, we grew, we evolved.

I think the hope is that the desire to survive
is unstoppable in the human species.

My grandparents saved and re-used everything.
My parents threw it all in the landfill.
And I have gone back to re-using, fixing and simplifying.
My children will probably improve on it again.

Everything we do, as individuals, as nations,
has something to do with ensuring our survival ...
From eating a salad to international energy conferences.

And every day, we are tweaking, and adjusting our survival plan.

 It's a good reminder that we must not judge so harshly what we are doing for we simply can only do our best and we can't underestimate the ripple effects, and natures (including us) ability and drive to thrive. Let's see where we go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment