Sunday, December 19, 2010

Grocery Market Conundrums

You know, I used to love grocery shopping and I wish that could have stayed the same. Now I can't relax inside the store because I feel uneasy around the intoxicating amount of unnecessary packaging.



I went to the deli to get some meat and I used to feel so happy  giving them my container, providing a viable alternative to plastic... but then I carry on in the grocery store and am ashamed to walk by the deli counter again (maybe embarassed is a better term), I feel like they will just laugh at me. Why you ask? Because in my basket is bread, in a plastic bag, and .... frozen fruit, in plastic packaging. Now, I get that somethings you can buy bulk and re-use the bags and/or use cloth bags (spices, nuts, candies...etc) but what do you do when you just want some frozen fruit? Could we develop a bulk frozen fruit/vegetable section? Would that be feasible? Or, do true environmentalists just have to swear off frozen fruits? I know one thing, I need to start buying my bread elsewhere - a place where I can get JUST the bread - no packaging.

*re: the photo above: the plastic bag that the sandwich is sitting on has been re-used, and re-used and when it can't be re-used any more (which, in theory, is never, since plastic is ever-existing), I will buy these lovely products from Abeego.




I wasn't always like this, and that kind of scares me. It makes me feel so guilty when I think back to all the times I went to grab another bag for my produce... :( 

Another thing - there was this tea that looked so cute and appropriately Christmasy - "Ginger Snapish" or something... but then it advertises on the box, so energetically, might I add, "individually wrapped bags" or something like that ... it made me really sad. I wanted to buy this tea for my mother...since she enjoys tea, especially a cute Christmas one, but now I can't because, fundamentally, I can't justify such a thing. So now I'm without Christmas-cheer-filled tea, and I'm upset/angry at producers and consumers... you just can't win :(

No comments:

Post a Comment